Executive Manager - 3 Years Contract - Executive Manager - 3 Years Contract
07 November 2023
POSITION: Executive Manager - 3 years contract
INDUSTRY: Education & Training
CONTRACT: 3 years Contract
SALARIES: Up to R1.5mil p/a
Strategic and Operational Objectives
• Refine/revise and implement the company vision and mission.
• Formulate and direct the strategic planning process.
• Submit the annual performance plan and the company’s strategy for Board of Directors consideration and approval.
• Implement the strategic direction of the company through translation into specific strategies and operational plans.
• Develop and recommend to the Board of Directors annual business plans as well as 3- year operating and capital budgets, in support of the company‘s long term strategy.
• Manage finances in line with best financial management practices and legislation.
• Continuously improve the performance of the company’s annual targets in portfolio management.
Commercial analysis and business case development (‘inside out’)
• Conduct and/or coordinate business and investment due diligence comprising of business analysis, market and competitor analysis, technical analysis, and financial analysis with the ultimate objective of establishing investment risks, negotiating licenses, structuring deals, and planning exits from investments.
• Identify University of Johannesburg (the company) IP with commercial potential and to develop the commercial argument for investment, and/or licensing.
• Lead the due diligence of license negotiations (including but not limited to upfront payments, earned royalties, and milestone payments) and the process of establishing spin-off companies as applicable to the commercialization opportunity.
• Present opportunities for investment to the board of directors.
• Describe and quantify all business costs and benefits.
• Develop business cases for commercialization opportunities including the provision of commercial and financial input and presentation to stakeholders.
• Prepare financial models, sensitivity analysis, and scenario modeling including interpretation of statistical, financial, and accounting information to assist in the evaluation of strategic options, commercial development, and investment decisions.
Market opportunity identification (outside in)
• Identify and assess potential or available leads, early-stage technologies and IP from within University of Johannesburg (the company) and identify and assess complementary technologies.
• Identify, create and assess market opportunities by creating and participating in networks within academia and industry and other suitable channels.
• Work with Technology Transfer Office (TTO) to continuously search, generate, monitor and pursue technology leads and Inform
• Technology Transfer Office (TTO) and academia of industry needs so as to focus and expedite technology R&D outputs
• Establish and maintain strategic alliances with various stakeholders.
• Develop relationships and effective partnerships with technology originators, financial institutions, investors intermediaries, academia and industry partners with a view to sourcing, generating, funding and selling technologies.
Project management, transitions, and transactions
• Provide input and guidance into pre-commercialization leads, and effectively project manage through the entry and exit life cycle including business plan creation, management team set up, due diligence, investment proposal, funding, deal structuring, deal closing, technology de-risking and exiting of projects. Effectively monitor, manage project outcomes, resources and risks.
• Coordinate (including due diligence and intermediaries) with relevant the company stakeholders.
• Manage project financials: forecast vs. actual.
• Identify, assess, prioritise and manage project risks and issues.
• Appoint appropriate external expert to assist with due diligence and business development on a case-by-case basis.
• Lead investment or fundraising from external stakeholders as required for the successful execution of the commercialisation opportunities.
• Develop and provide regular reporting and presentations to monitor performance against objectives and potential risks.
• Establish, maintain and assess processes and tools for effective and consistent tracking of performance against targets.
• Develop commercialisation plans that can attract investment, as well as interpret the results of a techno- economic report
• Position the company to exploit potential and commercially attractive IP and growth opportunities wherever possible.
• Appoint and manage Project/ Commercial Leads.
• Appoint appropriate external expertise to assist with business development on a case-by-case basis. Build internal team and
• work with University of Johannesburg (the company) academic staff / Technology Transfer Office (TTO) to assist with projects
• Enumerate, continuously update, monitor and effectively manage shareholder, the company and project risks. Own management strategies to continually reduce risk to acceptable level
Governance Structures & Framework
• Establish procedures for sound project governance, in line with national legislation.
• Execute the responsibilities of Executive Manager according to lawful and ethical standards as laid out in the KING IV.
• Act as the main management interface, regarding strategic and operational issues of the company
• Implement and maintain the company’s corporate governance framework.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• A relevant Postgraduate qualification, minimum of a Master’s Degree or equivalent training/education coupled with a technical background in SET (Science Engineering or Technology)
• Minimum of 5 years’ experience in the commercialisation of Intellectual Property (IP), of which 3 years must be at an Executive level
• A valid driver’s license
If you haven’t heard from us within three weeks please consider your application unsuccessful